Westerham Branding and Logo
Westerham is a small town in Sevenoaks District, in the west of Kent. Westerham is situated in the valley between the Greensand Ridge and the North Downs and lies within the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The River Darent runs through the town, which was once home to General James Wolfe and Sir Winston Churchill.
“The Westerham Town Partnership”, have been looking at how to enhance the Westerham experience for visitors, thereby increasing the economic return for the town from the tourism market.
Research showed that despite plenty of positive draws for the visitor, Westerham suffers from a lack of a distinct identity, and the raft of promotional material available has little consistent theme or message. The Town Partnership have therefore worked with Hidden Britain South East to develop a brand for the town, which will:
- Enable us to concisely communicate Westerham’s unique selling points
- Provide a consistent and coherent identity for Westerham to enable the town to sell itself as a destination
- Enable us to differentiate Westerham as a destination from its competitors
As a result of consultation with businesses, tourism stakeholders and the community, we have been able to distill down the main message and themes that Westerham can use to promote itself to the visitor market. These are:
- Escape – A different experience, a breath of fresh air, an escape from everyday life
- Indulge – Offers a slow pace, somewhere to take time and appreciate life’s luxuries
- Experience – Lots to see and do, packs a lot in, a really full experience
With the message clear, the brand needed a visual element, and again to get as wide local input as possible we ran a competition to design the logo. The winner was Helen Brown from HMB Design based in Bletchingley who then worked with us to develop the logo, typeface and colour scheme.
With input from Helen we have produced a set of branding guidelines to help others who want to communicate the brand.
All files below open in a new window/tab.
Logo for web use
Logo for print
Examples of use
We have also created some sample ideas of how the logo can be used: